Disclaimer: theshowerguide.com is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
A good shower can do wonders for the body and mind. The performance of a shower greatly depends on the shower head. It’s one of the most important aspects of planning your shower. The quality and type of the shower head you buy will define the effectiveness of water delivery, the amount of pressure, convenience, and comfort you will get. There are certain factors that you need to take into account before making a purchasing decision, such as your available shower space, source and pressure of water, design preferences, and budget. But what is the best shower head on the market in 2021? These shower head reviews and a comparison chart will help you find the best product for your preferences and needs.
Top 10 Shower Heads in 2021
Best Shower Heads Reviewed
Hydroluxe 1433 Dual Shower Head
This is one of the top rated shower heads that combines a great design with a lot of advantageous features. It comes with two shower heads. You can use them either separately or both together if you want more water flow or if you’re taking a shower with your loved one. The unit comes with everything you need for installation and the process itself is very simple. It also comes with a lot of different settings so you can adjust them according to your showering preferences.
- Shower head and handheld combo. So you can enjoy a more fulfilling shower experience with extra water flow. The benefit of the handheld shower head is that you can also use it for washing other body parts that are otherwise too difficult to reach and it can also be used by people who have a disability.
- Oversized chrome face. The 4-inch shower head face offers better body coverage.
- Multiple settings. With the Hydroluxe 1433 shower head, you can choose between 5 settings, which offer you a more personalized shower experience. The included settings are Massage, Power Rain, Water Saving Economy Rain, Stay-Warm Mist, and a Pause option.
- A choice of water flow patterns. In addition to the above-mentioned settings, you also have the choice of 24 full and combined water flow patterns.
- Easy installation. The set up of this shower head is a very simple process that required no extra tools. All you need to do is use the included washers and plumbers tape. You’ll probably be able to do it in under 10 minutes. Just make sure to use the included plumbers tape to prevent leaks. The chrome shower head also includes conical brass hose nuts so you can easily tighten them with just hands, a 3-way diverter, and an angle-adjustable overhead bracket.
- Low water pressure. Some of the users in their reviews have complained about low water pressure. However, there’s an easy solution to this problem – just remove the flow restrictor.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
The AquaDance 3312 model is also one of the best shower heads due to its quality and low price. It’s a good choice for those looking for an affordable handheld shower head. Also, its simply beautiful design will become a great centerpiece of your bathroom decor. Below we’ve shared the most notable features of this shower head.
- The handheld design can be an advantage when you want a more focused stream of water or when you’re washing your kids or pets.
- Adjustable angle of the overhead bracket. The handheld shower head sits on top of a bracket that you can adjust to have the spray at the desired angle.
- A diversity of patterns that you can select by turning the click-lever dial. With this shower head’s five spray patterns, you can customize the shower to your personal liking. For a more powerful and sensual experience, it could be the power rain or pulsating massage settings. For a more gentle and soothing experience, you can choose the power most or rain massage settings. And lastly, you could opt for a gentle mist.
- Pause mode. It’s perfect for water saving since and it can be especially useful when used in an RV or boat.
- Availability of different finishes. In all, there’re three finishes to choose from so you’re sure to find one that will suit your bathroom decor.
- Easy installation. The installation process can be done in three simple steps: remove the old shower head, apply plumber’s tape (you will find it included in the package), and screw on the new shower head. There won’t be any need to call a plumber.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- The only issue with this shower head is that the casing is made of plastic, which is a characteristic of many shower heads on the market.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
SparkPod Rainfall Shower Head
If you’re looking for a high quality shower head that will combine high water pressure and efficiency and an elegant and stylish look, then an amazing shower head to consider is the SparkPod rainfall model. It sure will impress you when you install it in your bathroom.
- Large shower head face. The model features a wide 6-inch face which means that you’ll be able to enjoy an amazing shower with full body coverage.
- Durable design. The shower head might not be made from metal but its high grade ABS plastic and chrome plating construction still provide good durability. The chrome finish protects the unit from rust and offers easy cleaning of the nozzles.
- Water efficiency. The unit is designed with high quality micro nozzles that provide the user with powerful waterfall spray, providing a spa-like experience at home. Even if you have low water pressure at home, this shower head will still perform well.
- Good water flow. The unit offers a 1.8 GPM water flow rate, which is lower than the standard rate used by shower heads. So you can be sure that you’re conserving water and energy when using the unit.
- The shower head is connected to the mount arm with a swivel ball joint. This allows tilting it to your desired direction.
- Elegant design. This model will not only provide a great shower experience but will also enhance the look of your bathroom.
- Easy installation process. You can set up SparkPod without the help of a professional. And the whole process won’t take more than several minutes. The product package comes with all the mounting accessories. So everything you’ll need for the installation, you’ll find in the box.
- Affordability. With all these advantageous features, this shower head comes at an affordable price.
- Plastic construction rather than metal.
- Only one spray pattern.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
Culligan WSH-C125 Shower Head With a Water Filter
Culligan WSH-C125 is also equipped with a powerful filtration system. So in addition to a refreshing shower experience, provided by a variety of spray settings, you get a cleaner shower and as a result, softer skin.
- Built-in filtration system. The filter removes chlorine (up to 99 percent), sulfur, and scale. Additionally, it removes waterborne impurities that often cause dry skin and hair problems. Moreover, it meets NSF Standard 177 for water safety
- A good choice of spray settings. There are 5 settings to suit your mood. There’s the full body spray if you want full body coverage, an invigorating pulse if you want a relaxing muscle massage, and a varying combination of these two settings.
- Quick installation process. The shower head installs in minutes without the need for any tools. The package includes Teflon tape that you need to wrap around the shower’s outlet pipe. Then you just screw on the new shower head and it’s done, you can start using the unit.
- Long filter life. The shower head filter will effectively work for up to six months or 10,000 gallons. After that, you can easily change it with a new one. Just unscrew the shower head, replace the filter, apply new Teflon tape, and screw it back on.
- Easy cleaning. Though the filtration system prevents the build-up of scale, if it does occur, you can easily clean the shower head by just rubbing the flexible nozzles.
- Inexpensive. For a shower head that also offers water filtration, this product has a very affordable price. So you get the best value for the money.
- There has been some misconception about this shower head working also as a water softener. However, this is not the case. The unit only filters the water but doesn’t remove the hard water minerals.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
NearMoon Shower Head
NearMoon may look simple but it definitely delivers on the high pressure and a powerful rain shower experience. The brand doesn’t just focus on aesthetics but also offers a well engineered design. Below, you can read on for the unit’s main features.
- Nice design. This model stands out among others with its extra large shower head face that measures 8 inches in diameter, providing great coverage. White the coating of the shower head has a chrome finish, which gives it a nice mirror-like look. However, you can also buy this shower head in a brushed nickel or matte black finish.
- Durable construction. Unlike many other shower heads that are made of plastic, this one is made of solid stainless steel. It’s a durable material that also has high rust resistance.
- Good functionality. The shower head face is equipped with 90 spray nozzles which provide exceptional shower experience to the user. The stimulating water flow provides a relaxing massage like feel. The use of the ultra thin design and air-in technology provides a strong flow of 2.5 GPM even in low water pressure situations.
- Adjustable angle. The swivel brass ball connection between the shower head and its mount allows adjusting the spray in different directions.
- Anti-clog design. Another benefit of this shower head is the ease of maintenance. The design features clog-free nozzles. So with just one blast of water, all the mineral buildup on the shower head face is removed.
- Puts out more water than advertised, as high as 3 GPM. This means that you’ll be able to clean yourself faster, but it also means that you’ll run out of hot water faster if you’re using a hot water tank.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
If you’re looking for the most powerful shower head, we recommend taking a look at Delta 75152 model. So in one unit, you get great water efficiency while still been able to enjoy extremely good spray power. It’s also well designed and offers good adjustable features.
- Good design aesthetics. It’s a great modern shower head with a design that is durable and at the same time user-friendly. The durability is provided by the metal ball connector that is built into the shower head. For user-friendliness, it features 4 large nozzles that guarantee that there’ll be clogging. If they do clog up, you can easily clean them by just wipe them up with a piece of cloth.
- H2OKinetic technology. The shower head features an internal system that controls the speed, movement, and size of droplets. This results in a more powerful shower spray without the increase of the water flow. It just creates the feeling like there’s more water than with a standard shower. So the unique wave pattern creates a drenching shower experience.
- Water saving. Even though it seems that this shower head uses more water, in fact, it’s one of the most water saving models. It offers you to choose from two water flow options – 2.5 GPM and 1.85 GPM. So you can either enjoy a high volume spray or opt for a water saving comfort spray. You can choose the water setting by adjusting the convenient volume control lever.
- EPA and WaterSense certified. H2OKinetics meets the criteria of these two programs, which shows its water efficiency. So by choosing this model, you can expect to save a bit on your utility bills.
- Ease of installation. The whole process is similar to the one described for the above mentioned shower heads. You simply just screw the unit on without the use of any tools.
- Lack of settings variety. Some users have mentioned the lack of available settings.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
Speakman S-2005-HB Adjustable Shower Head
This great adjustable shower head is widely used by many 5 star hotels around the world. However, for such quality and features, it requires only a small investment. The shower head offers you to enjoy a variety of settings from a flooding gentle spray to a stinging massage.
The model is constructed from Speakman engineered plastic, which is lightweight but very durable. For leak-free and drip-free use, make sure that you follow proper installation.
- Anystream Technology. The patented technology allows the user to easily change between spray patterns by simply rotating the handle located on the unit.
- Customizable sprays. Speakman S-2005-HB offers an impressive amount of spray patterns – 58. So you can customize your soothing, sensual shower experience. Each of the spray patterns is remarkably powerful and invigorating. The patterns are provided by 8 massage currents and 5 patented jets. Combined, they transform water into different spray patterns.
- High water pressure. The shower head features a compact, cylindrical frame, which helps in generating better water pressure.
- Ease of cleaning. The model features self-cleaning nozzles so you don’t need to worry about them clogging up and losing water pressure.
- Good water flow. The water flow for this model is rated at 2.5 GPM. If your municipal line has low water flow, you can remove the flow restrictor.
- This shower head seems to be receiving consistent good customer reviews. Most of the complaints only originate from the shipping process. Other than that, it seems to be a good shower head that has the ability to last a long time.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
If you’re looking for a dual shower head option, one of the most popular shower heads is the AquaDance 3328 model. It’s a great bargain for efficiency and design. It comes in a great modern design and offers a consistent flow rate, while at the same time providing good efficiency, conserving water and money.
- Design. The body is made of high impact ABS plastic, offering high quality and durability. As for the finish, there are three options that you can choose from. They include chrome, brushed nickel, and oil rubbed bronze.
- Versatility. One of the main advantages of this shower head is its versatility. With this product, you can get both rainfall and a handheld shower head experience. The rainfall showerhead features a large 7 inch face, while the handheld one has a 4 inch face.
- Water efficiency. The provides the maximum water flow of 2.5 GPM and it provides a consistent water flow regardless of water pressure. So you can still enjoy the feeling of a powerful shower while using less water.
- Adjustability. The multiple jets on this dual shower head offer the user a variety of shower experiences. It can be a pulsating massage or a gentle rain mist spray for a more soothing shower experience.
- Self-cleaning. The maintenance of the shower head is very easy since it features self-cleaning nozzles.
- It includes a 5 foot stainless steel, tangle-free hose.
- The fittings are plastic.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
Another great shower head that is receiving a lot of positive reviews, is the DreamSpa 1432 model. One of its main benefits is that it comes with two separate shower heads. It gives you the option of either using them both at the same time or individually. Its sleek chrome design will also look nice in any bathroom setting.
- Convenience. First of all, the availability of two shower heads gives you the option of either using the 7-inch rainfall shower head spray feature, the 4-inch high-power hand shower, or both of them at once. Moreover, the hand shower offers the user 7 settings to choose from. They include an invigorating experience of pulsating massage, a more relaxing hydro-mist, a water saving eco rain, a power rain setting, rain/mist, rain/massage, as well as a water saving pause.
- Easy to use. The user can easily switch between shower settings by adjusting the 3-zone click lever dial. It’s also easy to manage the angle of the shower by adjusting the overhead bracket.
- Flexible hose. The shower head comes with a 60-inch stainless steel hose that offers good flexibility.
- Tools-free installation. The user will also be happy to know that this unit is very easy and quick to install. With no tools required at all, you can connect this unit within minutes.
- Comes with everything you’ll need included in the package. In addition to the two shower head fixture, the package also includes the flexible hose, a water diverter, washers, aTeflonlon tape.
- Some people have mentioned that the switch from the handheld to the rainfall shower head is a bit hard to reach if you’re not very tall.
- Also, some of the reviewers weren’t happy with the fact that the shower head is made of plastic material. So if this model was made of metal, it would have probably been a bit sturdier.
CHECK THE LATEST PRICE ON AMAZON
Best Shower Head Buying Guide
A shower is not just a simple act of hygiene. It also serves an almost sacred role, allowing the person to disconnect from the maddening buzz of the external world and reconnect with oneself. But if the shower is just a weak sprinkle, it becomes more of just an annoyance. So it’s essential to choose not just any unit, but the best shower head with the perfect design and all the features that you would want. So below we’ve compiled a buying guide that will help you find the right model for your bathroom.
Types of Shower Heads
Rain shower head
This type of shower head is becoming more popular. Rain shower heads usually feature a large head that mounts on the shower ceiling. They provide large drops of water, giving you a calming and stress-relieving shower experience. With the high performance rain shower heads, it feels like you’re standing out in a warm tropical rain storm. When choosing this type, however, consider that most of these fixtures are usually installed on the ceiling.
Wall mounted shower heads
These units are permanently mounted to the wall. Their downside is that once you mount it at a certain height, you cannot later adjust it up or down. Some models only offer the slight movement of the neck of the shower head.
Handheld shower heads
This type includes a short hose that attaches to the handheld shower head. So it gives you more options as you can either lock it in the upright position to work as a standard adjustable shower head or remove it and focus the spray on any particular part of your body. Also, hand held shower heads are especially great for bathing kids and pets or washing the shower enclosure.
High pressure shower heads
No matter how beautiful your shower is, even if it’s designed from the nicest stone marble, you’d still be miserable under a small trickle of water. Good water pressure is essential to a really good shower. So if you have low water pressure in your house, consider getting this type of shower heads. Different models use various technologies for creating the high pressure. It can either be a pressure chamber or the use of flexible spray settings. On most units, you will find the maximum water flow of 2.5 GPM and if you have low water pressure this is probably not enough for you. A lot of units, however, feature a restrictor, the purpose of which is to save water. But by removing it, you can increase the water pressure in your shower head.
Water saving shower heads
On the other hand, if your shower is using a tremendous amount of water, you can choose a water saving fixture. These low water shower heads are incredibly efficient and provide you with a very satisfying shower while using a minimum amount of water. A good low flow shower head should work with the same consistency at both high and low water pressure.
Filter shower heads
While many people realize the importance of having their drinking water filtered, not everyone knows the benefits of showering with filtered water. However, one of the main ways that our body receives the essential nutrients and chemicals is through water absorption in the skin. Also, unfiltered water which contains a high level of chlorine and fluoride can make our skin and hair dry. A filter shower head battles these problems, providing you a safer showering environment. More advanced filter shower heads are also capable of removing dirt, odors, and other water impurities. The filter can be sold either already built into the shower head or separately as a teachable unit.
Dual shower heads
If you want maximum flexibility, you can get a dual shower head. This type features two shower heads with one head fixed and the other attached to a shower hose. You can use them separately or simultaneously. Dual shower heads provide you with better coverage than with a standard shower head. When you use both shower heads, you can get double the water pressure without sacrificing any warmth. This type is also preferred by people who need the handheld shower head for cleaning their pets or bathing kids.
LED shower heads
For a more fun shower experience, consider getting a LED shower head. It features LEDs built in within the unit. So now you can shower in the dark under vibrant lights. They usually work without batteries but are powered by the water pressure, and change color according to the temperature of the water or they just rotate random colors. It’s also great for kids because you won’t have to waste time anymore trying to talk them into taking a shower. Your kids will definitely be impressed.
Shower heads with Bluetooth speakers
Another way to add a bit more fun to your showering experience is by buying a shower head speaker. So now you can enjoy a relaxing shower while listening to your favorite tune or podcast. Isn’t that a great way to start any day? They’re usually but in within the shower head. Cheaper versions of Bluetooth shower heads have only the AM/FM radio option. Mode advanced units offer also WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity to your laptop or phone. To turn it on, simply connect it through Bluetooth to your phone, computer, or other device and sync your favorite tracks.
Kids shower heads
Not all shower heads are designed for kids, that’s why you can purchase this type of special shower heads. They usually have a more gentle stream so as not to irritate the sensitive skin of the kid. You can also find some interesting designs that will make showering for your kid a more fun experience.
Luxury shower heads
If you’re looking for the best of the best, then this is the type for you. These shower heads offer the most advanced features, such as high water pressure, massage jets, a variety of sprays, LED lights, rainfall effect, and others.
- Sliding bar.
- Shower kits.
- Wall mount. With this installation type, the shower head is permanently fixed to your wall via an arm or flange. Wall mount shower heads can also be divided into different styles.
- Standard. These units feature a straightforward design with the arm extending from the wall and facing at an angle downward.
- Offset. These shower fixtures have a more unique look with the arm extending a bit out from the wall and curving upward. This shapely design gives additional headroom for rinsing in the shower.
- Extended. It’s more commonly used with the rain shower heads. The shower arm is extended further from the wall so the user doesn’t have to be standing right beside the wall to get under the water.
- Ceiling mount. These shower heads are mounted directly over your head. It is installed to the ceiling so you can an invigorating shower experience with the water evenly flowing over your body. The downside to this type of installation is that it requires more work. To get this shower head set up, you need to install piping from the wall and overhead to the ceiling.
When buying a shower head it’s also important to choose one with the type of spray pattern that you will enjoy every day. You can also change your shower experience by switching between different available patterns. Some of the most common ones are described below.
- Rain. This setting provides a drenching, rain-like spray. Typically, with this setting, you would get the largest coverage. It provides full and even coverage. Soft and delicate water drops give you a calming and stress-relieving shower experience.
- Full body spray. This full spray pattern is provided by multiple nozzles located all across the shower face. The result is maximum water coverage and even warmth.
- Massage. A pulsating spray pattern with several pressure options. The varied water flow can work in circular, pulsating, or twin massaging sprays. The massage spray pattern provides a truly stimulating shower experience.
- Mist. The spray consists of fine water droplets that create a gentle spray experience.
- Jet. This is a more focused high pressure circular spray. This refreshing burst of water is ideal for stimulating the skin or washing the bathtub or shower.
- Aeration. Aeration spray mixes air and water, creating a misty spray giving a feeling like the flow is more substantial. When the water moves through the tiny nozzles, it breaks down into thousands of soft water drops and the misty atmosphere creates a nice cooling effect.
- Regular. It’s a perfect all-rounder that provides a refreshing and relaxing effect. It features a single spray of water that creates a rejuvenating bath experience.
Shower Head Materials
- Brass. If you’re looking for the most high quality shower head, choose one made of brass. This durable metal is capable of resisting rust and corrosion. All this makes it a hassle-free material as it rarely needs replacement.
- Stainless steel. This is another low maintenance material. It has the natural capability to resist stains and rust. So it’s easy to clean, it retains its quality over time, light, and it’s able to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Porcelain. Shower heads made of porcelain is a perfect choice for a vintage-styled bathroom. This is a good choice for you if a classic look is more desired. The shower head can have a complete porcelain finish or just have finished accents.
Shower Head Finishes
With many shower head finishes available, it’s not difficult to choose one that will perfectly fit into your bathroom interior and would match your other bath fixtures. If you’re looking for a more elegant look, then consider polished finishes. Bear in mind, however, that their upkeep usually requires more time than matte and brushed finishes since they’re good at hiding water spots. The following are the most common finishes that you will find.
- Polished brass.
- Brushed nickel.
- Oil rubbed bronze.
- Stainless steel.
Shower Head Styles
In order to make sure that the shower head will perfectly coordinate with the style of your bathroom, it’s also important to consider the shape of the shower head. Considering the following styles and how well they will fit with your bathroom decor.
- Round or oval. This is the most versatile and the most commonly found on the shelves of the store style. With a round or oval shower head shape, you can achieve both modern or classic look.
- Square or rectangular. This is an ideal choice for a contemporary bathroom. The clean lines of the square shower head have a nice modern look.
- Irregular shapes. For a custom project, you can choose an irregularly shaped shower head. It can bring visual interest, and add personality and charm to your bathroom. The shapes can be anything from cylindrical to trumpet.
It’s not just about aesthetics. It’s also about the shower head’s performance. Generally, you will find the following three types of nozzles.
- Raised nozzles. They create a powerful downward spray. Most of the time, they’re removable. So you can take them off and soak them in a cup of warm water which will remove any sediment buildup.
- Silicone nozzles. The small nozzles are made of silicone and not of brass or plastic. This material is clog resistant. So, generally, they require low maintenance. Only from time to time, you’ll need to wipe the nozzles with a piece of cloth.
- Flat nozzles. Some of the shower heads that are created with a minimalist aesthetic have a completely flat face with flat nozzles. This creates a linear look for the bathroom. Cleaning such shower heads is a breeze as all you have to do is simply wipe away any buildup with a damp cloth.
Eco-Friendliness of the Shower Head
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly shower head, choose a low flow fixture. These units are engineered to save water while not having to sacrifice a powerful shower experience.
Also, another great way to save water is to install a rain shower head. They work by providing a downpour of rain drops. So it seems like it is a large volume of water while still not going over the standard water flow.
Another thing to check to make sure that your shower head is eco-friendly is the water flow restrictor. So make sure that the fixture meets the EPA WaterSense criteria for water conservation. It’s a program that was launched by EPA in June 2006 with the purpose of increasing water efficiency in the U.S. For a product to get this WaterSense label, it has to go through third-party testing. If it meets the EPA set specifications for water efficiency, it gets the label. This helps the customer to easier identify efficient products.
Some of the more advanced shower heads can also have fancy eco-friendly features. They include a built-in thermostat that will automatically cut off the water once it will reach a certain temperature and a water timer that will shut the water off when the set time runs out.
Ergonomics of the Shower Head
Buying a new shower head can greatly change your shower. It’s not just about its looks, how well it fits with your bathroom decor, and performance. The ergonomic design of the shower head is also important.
If you’re buying a handheld shower head, check that the handle has an ergonomic design. It’s good if the handle has a textured surface that will give you a comfortable, non-slip grip. Check that the included hose is long enough. Also, understand how to change the spray settings. The controls should be easily reachable so the massage, jet, or rainfall settings would be at your fingertips.
If you have kids in the house, consider getting an adjustable shower head. These fixtures feature the head that can slide vertically on a long rod which then can be tightened into place at any desired height. This way the kid won’t have to wait till he’s tall enough to use a standard height shower head and his independence won’t be compromised.
Is the Shower Head Detachable?
There are a few benefits to getting a detachable shower head:
- People of different heights can use it comfortably.
- It’s useful for cleaning the shower or bathtub because you can remove the shower head at aim it in any specific area without getting it all over the bathroom.
- Great for washing kids as again, you can aim the water flow directly at your kids without getting yourself wet.
- It makes it a lot easier to give your pet a bath. You can bring the water flow closer, which will make washing out the shampoo from the fur much faster.
- You can use it both ways, you can either keep it fixed whenever you want it that way or remove it.
- If you have low water pressure, bringing the shower head closer to your body will make it much easier and faster to shower.
- Anti-scald. If you would like to avoid getting scalded, but at the same would prefer not to lower the thermostat settings on your water heater, consider getting an anti-scald shower head. It works by reducing the water stream to a trickle whenever the water gets too hot.
- Digital controls. To have more control over your shower experience, you can additionally install a master control panel to your shower head. Using it, you will be able to select temperature range, water flow intensity, music, and ambient lighting.
As with purchasing any other product, your budget should also be one of the main considerations when choosing a shower head. If the budget permits, you can find a good high quality shower head with plenty of useful features. However, you don’t necessarily need a big budget to find a good shower head. There’re plenty of fixtures available at a reasonable price. You can check user reviews to make sure that you would get the quality you’re looking for.
Good Shower Head Brands
This company has been a leader in the market of American upscale fixtures. Founded in 1937, the company was named after its founder Al Moen. Over the course of its work, the company has claimed over 75 patents on different products in the plumbing business. It still continues to be the first name when talking about quality and design.
Their products are known for water efficiency, innovative industrial style, and reliable quality. The Moen faucets are relatively inexpensive and an easy fixture to install. So if you’re looking for the greatest design and latest shower head technology, you can’t go wrong with Moen faucets.
Kohler is probably the most known brand in the world of bathroom fixtures. The company, founded by Austrian immigrants, initially was producing cast iron and steel products. But after an unexpected experiment creating a horse trough, Kohler ventured into the plumbing business. Since then the company has been firmly established in the bath products market.
The brand is mainly known for sturdy, trendy designs. In their fixtures, they also implement the latest in bathroom technologies and engineering.
This is probably the oldest company on this list. It was founded in 1869. For many years, Speakman has been providing plumbing fixtures and fittings to large businesses, such as hotels and hospitals. They make some of the most impressive rain shower heads that are commonly used in many hotels. Their shower heads are valued for their durability and luxurious designs.
Speakman shower heads also provide the latest technologies of the bath industry, such as chroma therapy, LED lighting, removable flow restrictors, etc.
Niagara was founded with the set purpose of its business to provide efficient plumbing fixtures that would meet the needs of conservation minded individuals and companies. The brand has been one of the leaders among the manufacturers of water saving shower heads.
Though it might not be one of the well-known brands of shower heads, the name is responsible for creating some of the most beautiful and innovative shower heads in the past few years.
Another popular shower head brand is Ana Bath. In their range of products, you can find different types of shower heads, from rainfall and filter types to LED and combo units. All the Ana Bath shower heads are made to meet the CSA standards, so the customer can be assured of safety and high quality.
Shower Head Replacement and Installation
If your shower head has gotten rusty or started leaking, it probably needs a replacement. To replace it, you will need a few tools and to follow a few simple steps. It’s a simple task that you can complete in a few minutes.
What You’ll Need
- Shower head
- Teflon tape (it’s usually included when you buy a shower head)
- Old towel or rag
Prepare the work area
Lay down an old towel in the tub or on the shower floor. This will protect the tub surface or shower floor from getting scratched or damaged by falling tools or materials. Also, if you want to be extra careful and want to prevent any shower head bits from falling down the drain, cover it with tape.
Before starting the shower head replacement, make sure that the shower is completely turned off. All you need to do is turn off the shower knobs. You don’t need to shut off the water supply. It would just be an unnecessary effort.
Remove the existing shower head
If your shower head is screwed on loosely, you might be able to remove it by just unscrewing it with your hands while turning it counterclockwise. Otherwise, you will need to choose an adjustable wrench or lock pliers. You can wrap the jaws of the pliers or wrench with tape which will prevent them from marring the chrome.
Grip the channel locks onto the shower arm so it will hold the arm secure while you’ll be unscrewing the shower head. Then slowly start turning the shower head counterclockwise until you completely remove it from the shower arm. Try not to do any sudden jerks as it can break the supply line.
Clean the screw threads
Before installing the new shower, clean the threads of the shower stem. Use a rag to remove any old Teflon tape left on the shower arm’s threads. To get in between the threads, you can use an old toothbrush. It will also help to clean out any grime or rust.
Apply Teflon tape
Apply some new Teflon tape to the threads of the shower arm. The purpose of this step is to prevent water leakage. Do about 2-3 turns in a clockwise direction. Make sure that it’s wrapped in the right direction, as otherwise, it will tear when installing the fixture on the threads. Wrap the tape tightly and make sure that it is properly embedding the threads. Press the Teflon tape into the grooves of the shower arm threads.
Install the New Shower Head
Attach the new shower fixture onto the shower arm. Secure it into place by twisting it clockwise. Wrap the base of the shower head and the base of the shower arm with a cloth. Lock onto the arm with a channel lock and the shower head with an adjustable wrench, and then tighten the shower head by turning it clockwise as far as it will go.
This procedure is the same for any type of shower head, whether it’s a fixed mount or handheld shower head. The difference is only in the diverter that attaches between the handheld shower head and shower arm.
Turn on the water
Once finished installing the new shower head, turn on the shower water and make sure that there are no leaks coming from the shower head. If you do find them, remove the shower head and reapply the Teflon tape. Also, try tightening it a little more. Though don’t over tighten it.
How to Clean Your Shower Head?
If your shower head is not performing like it used to, it’s probably clogged with mineral deposits. The buildup may cause uneven spray and poor water pressure. So if you want to get your shower head back to its peak performance, it will require just a small amount of time. After eliminating the scale buildup, you’ll be able to restore the strong flow of the fixture. The cleaning should be done regularly to keep up that forceful flow in the shower head. To do it, you can follow our easy instructions.
Rub the nozzles
Many of the modern shower heads come with easy to clean rubber nozzles. In such a case, you can easily dislodge the buildup by wiping the flexible nozzles with a piece of cloth or by simply massaging each of the nozzles with your fingers. For more tough buildup, you can use gently scrubbing with a toothbrush.
Another easy and effective way of cleaning a shower head is by removing it and soaking it in vinegar. The acids in vinegar can dissolve the white mineral deposits. If the shower head can’t be detached from the pipe, you can just fill a plastic bag with vinegar and do the same soaking by wrapping it around the shower head. To secure the bag, use a rubber band or tape.
So remove the shower head by turning counter clockwise. If the shower head is locked too tightly, try twisting it with a wrench. The removed shower head place into a container that is big enough to fit the shower head. Fill the container with enough vinegar to fully cover the shower head.
Leave the shower head soaking for about 30 minutes or just leave it overnight, depending on how soiled your shower head is. However, if you have a brass shower head or one with gold or nickel coating, keep soaking only for 30 minutes. If your shower head is made from metal and you don’t have much time to wait, you can put the pot with the shower head and the vinegar on the stove and simmer it for 15 minutes.
After the soak, rinse the shower head. You should see all the mineral buildup flaking off. If there’s still some residue left, use an old toothbrush to scrub it off.
Gently polish the shower head with a microfiber cloth. Make it completely dry, leaving no water spots. Finish off by putting new Teflon tape onto the threads of the shower arm and screw the shower head back on.
How to Improve Water Pressure?
If you’re not happy with the level of pressure your shower head is delivering, there’re a few ways that you can improve it. The tips provided below are quite simple, so you should be able to fix them all on your own without a professional plumber’s help. However, on the other hand, to make things easier, you can also turn to a plumber or a shower installation company for help.
Remove the Flow Regulator
One of the easiest ways to boost water pressure in your shower is by removing the flow restrictor. The flow restrictor is installed in all shower heads with requirements of the federal regulations for conserving water and power. You can tweak the system, by simply removing this flow restrictor. To find the flow restrictor, look for a white plastic disc with a hole in the middle of it.
Switch Shower Heads
Homes with low water pressure might have to consider other options. If you cannot change the water pressure where it comes into the home, consider getting an amplifying shower head. It’s also an easy fix to the problem, as changing modern shower heads can be done in mere minutes. So buying a high pressure shower head can be a time-saver.
These shower heads are also meant to conserve water but the technology they use increases the velocity of the water passing through the shower head. So while delivering only 1.5 GPM, it can simulate 2.5 GPM.
Clean the Shower Head
Sometimes, the cause of the low water pressure is gunk, grime, or mineral buildup on the nozzles of the shower head. Another cause could be the clogging of the screen with sediment. So declogging the shower head can also improve the water pressure. In order to prevent such clogging, it’s wise to perform regular maintenance.
Remove the Aerator
Some shower heads also come with an aerator. Even though they do provide a more invigorating shower experience, they also sometimes decrease the water pressure. These small parts are usually simple to remove. However, all shower heads are different, so for the correct instructions refer to the owner’s manual.
Fix Water Leaks
Leaks can also contribute to low water pressure. They can be behind the shower wall or leaks on the connection from damaged Teflon tape. If you’re suspecting that leaks are taking away water from your shower head flow, contact a shower installation professional or a plumber.
Check for Inadequate Plumbing
If you are experiencing low water pressure from all taps and shower heads in the house, the problem could be inadequate plumbing. The resolve the problem, it’s advised to consult a professional plumber.
Check Your Main Shut-Off Valve
Check your central shut-off valve to make sure that it’s opened up all the way. This is a quick fix that can be done without paying a plumbing professional.
Other Bathroom Upgrading Options
- Shower panels
- Ionic shower heads
- Steam showers
- Steam shower generators
- Infrared saunas
- Tankless water heaters
- Gas water heaters
- Bathroom exhaust fans
- Bathroom Faucets
- Fogless shower mirrors
- Towel warmers
- Walk in tubs
- Freestanding tubs
- Acrylic bathtubs
- Inflatable hot tubs
- Pedestal sinks
- Frameless sliding shower doors
- Bidet toilet seats
- Bathroom vanities
- Bathroom scales
- Shower curtains
- The shower curtain liners
- Shower pans and bases
- Hybrid water heaters
- Touchless bathroom faucets
- Shower chairs for elderly and disabled
- Bathroom heater
- Shower stall
- Baby bath tubs
The best shower head on the market should be able to meet several criteria. The most important ones of them are high water pressure capabilities and high levels of water efficiency. A good shower head should be able to maintain a healthy balance between the two. As we can all agree upon the fact that water is a precious resource that shouldn’t be wasted, but at the same time, the shower experience can easily be ruined by poor water flow. So in these shower head reviews, we’ve included products that deliver on these two criteria. Moreover, we’ve chosen them for our list as they deliver well also on other fronts. These include innovative design, durability, and quality of engineering. We hope that with the help of our reviews, you’ll be able to find the perfect fixture for your shower.